A Bookish Adventure

I started this blog to document an extended trip to the US and UK in 2012, introducing children to my Alice-Miranda series. It's hard to believe that it's just on four years since we launched the first Alice-Miranda title - and now there are nine books out in Australia with another five still to come. When I first came up with the idea of this precocious seven and a quarter year old, I had no clue that she would take me on such an amazing journey, not only in Australia but also across the world. I visited 37 schools while we were away in 2012 and gave over 80 talks - it was fantastic. In 2013 I've been on lots of new adventures in the UK - visiting schools from London to Southampton, Lancashire, Scotland, Newcastle and back to London again. After that I headed off to meet readers in Singapore. In Australia I've been to Melbourne, Perth, Albany, Alice Springs and Brisbane. There's a new series too - about a gorgeous little girl called Clementine Rose. She and Alice-Miranda don't know each other yet, but they will soon.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Newcastle Church High School

We met the lovely Kirstie and Kristine from Waterstone's in Newcastle in the morning at what has to be one of the most gorgeous book stores I've seen.  The building is stunning and the shop is beautifully arranged over many floors.  We received a very warm welcome on what proved an epecially cold day.  It started snowing early on and didn't stop - much to our great delight and I'm sure everyone else's annoyance.  We headed off to meet the girls of Newcastle Church High School in a beautiful part of the town.  The girls and staff were delighful and we had a wonderful time meeting everyone.  It was lovely watching the snow flakes fall and settle on the tennis court outside as I talked to the children.

Before I started the talk, the school had organised to take some photographs for their publications so I had a great time working out how we would set up some shots with four of the girls.  I will upload the photograph once I find it again!

I wished I could have stayed longer!



No comments:

Post a Comment