A Bookish Adventure

I started this blog to document an extended trip to the US and UK in 2012, introducing children to my Alice-Miranda series. It's hard to believe that it's just on four years since we launched the first Alice-Miranda title - and now there are nine books out in Australia with another five still to come. When I first came up with the idea of this precocious seven and a quarter year old, I had no clue that she would take me on such an amazing journey, not only in Australia but also across the world. I visited 37 schools while we were away in 2012 and gave over 80 talks - it was fantastic. In 2013 I've been on lots of new adventures in the UK - visiting schools from London to Southampton, Lancashire, Scotland, Newcastle and back to London again. After that I headed off to meet readers in Singapore. In Australia I've been to Melbourne, Perth, Albany, Alice Springs and Brisbane. There's a new series too - about a gorgeous little girl called Clementine Rose. She and Alice-Miranda don't know each other yet, but they will soon.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Kinnaird Primary School, Kinnaird near Glasgow

My first visit to a school in Glasgow also happened to be the first time an author has visited the very new and beautiful Kinnaird Primary School.  I have been fascinated to see inside Scottish primary schools as they enjoy an excellent reputation with the Australian education community and I was certainly impressed.  The teachers were so welcoming and the children were great fun to work with - although I did have to apologise a couple of times for my hearing - which obviously wasn't completely in tune with their sometimes broad Scottish accents.  Hearing the children pronounce the full name of Alice-Miranda's best friend, Millicent Jane McLaughlin-McTavish-McNoughton-McGill was like music.

I talked to Year 4-7 in their gymnasium which doubles as a hall and had a great time intoducing Alice-Miranda.  The little girl who acted out the role of the school's second best tantrum thrower was hilarious and had the poor little boy who was trying to befriend her, running for cover.

It was lovely to sign the books for the children at the end and we even had the local newspaper journalist come and take photos for a story.  One little girl looked particularly like Alice-Miranda and posed beautifully - I hope to find the picture in the newspaper soon and will add a link to the blog. 

3 comments:

  1. By learning in a CBSE associated schools of reputation the parent can be comfortable and treated of hysteria as they must know that their kids is in protected hands.
    Cbse Schools in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete