A Bookish Adventure

I started this blog to document an extended trip to the US and UK in 2012, introducing children to my Alice-Miranda series. It's hard to believe that it's just on four years since we launched the first Alice-Miranda title - and now there are nine books out in Australia with another five still to come. When I first came up with the idea of this precocious seven and a quarter year old, I had no clue that she would take me on such an amazing journey, not only in Australia but also across the world. I visited 37 schools while we were away in 2012 and gave over 80 talks - it was fantastic. In 2013 I've been on lots of new adventures in the UK - visiting schools from London to Southampton, Lancashire, Scotland, Newcastle and back to London again. After that I headed off to meet readers in Singapore. In Australia I've been to Melbourne, Perth, Albany, Alice Springs and Brisbane. There's a new series too - about a gorgeous little girl called Clementine Rose. She and Alice-Miranda don't know each other yet, but they will soon.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sacred Heart School Villawood

I recently had the pleasure of visiting Sacred Heart School at Villawood.  The children were fabulous and so enthusiastic.  They had created some wonderful shields and school mottos based on Alice-Miranda At School.  Something I talk to the children about is their ambitions - which are always fabulous and range from doctors and lawyers to archaeologists and teachers and just about everything in between.  This morning one little girl with a puff of blonde hair told me quite seriously that she was going to be a princess when she grows up.  I guess Princess Mary and Duchess Kate are living proof that although openings are limited, being a princess is not completely out of the realm of possibility.

I had a ball doing some drama activities and the students I selected were absolutely perfect in their roles.  It was a pleasure to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment