A Bookish Adventure

I started this blog to document an extended trip to the US and UK in 2012, introducing children to my Alice-Miranda series. It's hard to believe that it's just on four years since we launched the first Alice-Miranda title - and now there are nine books out in Australia with another five still to come. When I first came up with the idea of this precocious seven and a quarter year old, I had no clue that she would take me on such an amazing journey, not only in Australia but also across the world. I visited 37 schools while we were away in 2012 and gave over 80 talks - it was fantastic. In 2013 I've been on lots of new adventures in the UK - visiting schools from London to Southampton, Lancashire, Scotland, Newcastle and back to London again. After that I headed off to meet readers in Singapore. In Australia I've been to Melbourne, Perth, Albany, Alice Springs and Brisbane. There's a new series too - about a gorgeous little girl called Clementine Rose. She and Alice-Miranda don't know each other yet, but they will soon.

Friday, March 8, 2013

Eton House School Singapore

I had a great time visiting Eton House school.  The children were enthusiastic and the teachers laughed in all the right places.  The school is much smaller than some of the international schools I've visited this week.  In a tree lined suburban street, surrounded by lovely homes, the school boasts a great diversity of students from all over the world.  They had recently participated in ArtExpress - not the Australian HSC exhibition but their own creative time, where the children produced their own art works.

I talked with the P-2 children in the first session and then to the 3-6 students.  The only small challenge was that in the hall, although there was cross ventilation, there was no airconditioning and so if I look a little warm in the photos, I was.  Apparently the AC is coming soon :)  I'm sure that the locals get quite used to the humidity but I really struggled.

I signed lots of books for the children and hope that Alice-Miranda and Clementine Rose have found themselves some more new friends at Eton House. 

Cheryle took me to a great little sandwich shop for lunch.  Nearby in one of the smaller shopping strips it was nice to be out of the giant malls.

After lunch we headed back into the city and I took some more photos of the incredible Marina Bay Sands resort which looks like a ship sailing into the city - albeit from many storeys up.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Green Gables, we believe education is a natural ‘give and take’ where we learn as much from children as they from us; that our children transform us as we transform them.
    Best International Schools in Hyderabad
    Cambridge Schools in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good sharing !!!
    Really inspiring and helpful...
    programming assignment help in Singapore
    Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing such a informative and quality content.
    programming assignment help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, great blog article. Really looking forward to read more.
    Best International schools in Medchal

    ReplyDelete