A Bookish Adventure

I started this blog to document an extended trip to the US and UK in 2012, introducing children to my Alice-Miranda series. It's hard to believe that it's just on four years since we launched the first Alice-Miranda title - and now there are nine books out in Australia with another five still to come. When I first came up with the idea of this precocious seven and a quarter year old, I had no clue that she would take me on such an amazing journey, not only in Australia but also across the world. I visited 37 schools while we were away in 2012 and gave over 80 talks - it was fantastic. In 2013 I've been on lots of new adventures in the UK - visiting schools from London to Southampton, Lancashire, Scotland, Newcastle and back to London again. After that I headed off to meet readers in Singapore. In Australia I've been to Melbourne, Perth, Albany, Alice Springs and Brisbane. There's a new series too - about a gorgeous little girl called Clementine Rose. She and Alice-Miranda don't know each other yet, but they will soon.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Highlights of San Francisco

San Francisco is a great city, so I've compiled a list of my favourite things from the past week: The Omni Hotel-great service, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, good room service and a lovely room. The location is central and apart from the rattle and hum of the California St tram, it's whisper quiet. Would stay there again in a heartbeat. Boulevard restaurant -we stumbled on this restaurant by accident and it was superb! Alcatraz - Interesting, creepy, historical and a must see! The golden Gate Bridge - An icon. Pacific Heights - What an extraordinary neighbourhood. The architecture is stunning - I could have walked those streets for days just looking at the houses. San Fran drivers - Really considerate and they don't seem to be in too much of a hurry. Weather and climate - Stunning sunny days but cool/cold breeze - wear layers and you can be comfortable all day. All of the schools I visited. Books Inc, Copperfield's at Petaluma and Book Passage Corte Madeira. All great shops and fantastic staff. Not so favourite things Coffee - Hard to find a good cup anywhere. Fisherman's Wharf - Really touristy - but kids would love it. Really there wasn't much I didn't love about San Francisco. It's a beautiful city.

No comments:

Post a Comment